Wish I had asked Mam for more info before she passed away, so what I know of 'Uncle Bert' is that he fought like his brother Fred in WWI. Fred however was killed in a Colliery accident in 1950 whilst the family story is that Bert died in New York having caught a really bad cold. Bert had been a Miner and during depression of the 'Thirties' had taken up work on Tramp Steamers and thence as a Stoker on the Queen Mary, and after a passage to New York Bert would die. The only evidence I have associated with the above is a Post Card and pack of colour prints of New York and a Queen Mary Postcard giving details of a 1936 Passage as extract from Ships Log. See below:
Am researching into this, when I have more info will post up.
Gethin.



No comments:
Post a Comment